Other Interesting Stuff

Monday, July 28, 2008

Unorthdox Lullabies

JJ had a very rough afternoon. Lots of awake time. Lots of crying. Hours of this. I got home about 7:30, hour 3 of "screaming awake time" and got JJ from Ally. I tried everything I could think of to calm him down: the gentle walk, the big dip knee bend the walk and rock but it was the "rock and roll" that ultimately did the trick. Sorry for the cheesy pun but it really was some good old fashion rock and roll that put him to sleep. Let me recap.

As I've mentioned before JJ likes music. Good music. So I thought I could get him to calm down by singing to him...it seems to work when Ally does it. I don't know a lot of baby songs so I started off by making up ridiculous songs mainly about Stewie and JJ. He didn't like those. So I decided it was time to channel my inner Axl Rose, and try out some Appetite for Destruction. I didn't have any other ideas so why not?

I started at song number 1, Welcome to the Jungle and ended at song 7 My Michelle when JJ was sound asleep. Of course I was singing the "Walmart Edited Version" as to not corrupt the young fella. I also sang it a little sweeter than Axl ever did and vocalized the rhythm sections in a way that would make Izzy Stradlin cry.

I listened to that album (yes, album) so many times I lost track. I know it backwards and forward. However, today it was the first time it ever actually was good for anything. Usually GNR is reserved for playing loud after a tough day at work to let off steam. But today it found it could serve a much greater purpose; it could put my baby to sleep!

EDITOR'S NOTE: I decided I am not a bad dad just because I sang my child songs from an album that is pretty much only about doing drugs and living in Hollywood in the late 1980's. Right? It put him to sleep.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I fully endorse this technique Ben. Abby seems to prefer Pearl Jam to Nirvana, but I had to find that out the hard way. I'll keep the GnR tucked away for emergencies. :) It's so cool to see you guys as parents. Love you cousin!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Josh...so amazing to see your beautiful family enjoying one another...

Josh used to be calmed down by George Benson and Kenny Rankin..more the Jazz style..

Cam...he just used to sleep alot..it wasn't until 3 yrs. old that he started the head banging music....sorry, camper...love ya!
mean it!..

Ben and Ally, a beautiful son anyway you get to calm down!

xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

sorry...anonymous is Adelle.

these fandangled machines!!!!!

Is that word still used...machines?

xoxo

Anonymous said...

JJ is such a smart (clever) little fella...feigning sleep so as to be spared any more Axl. I'll bet it works every time!